Georg Bernthal (09 November 1837-08 March 1913) was born in Roßtal, Bavaria, the youngest child of Georg Martin and Anna Barbara (Bloß) Bernthal. He immigrated to Frankenmuth in 1846, arriving with the second group of settlers. Georg studied for the ministry at Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Indiana. From 1859 to 1862 he served Zion Lutheran Church in Bonfield, Kankakee County, Illinois as their first pastor. He served as pastor of St. Michael’s Lutheran Church in Richville, Michigan for 50 years from 1862 until his retirement in 1912. He is laid to rest in St. Michael’s Lutheran Cemetery alongside his second and third wives and his daughter Magdalena.